Anxiety and stress are common occurrences for some people. A study shows that 70% of adults in the US feel anxious and stressed daily. There are several ways of relieving stress, some can be very expensive, while others are simple and easy. In this article, we discuss some of the easy and simple methods of relieving stress.
Regular exercises will help relieve stress. When having mental stress, putting physical stress on your body will help reduce it. People that do regular exercise are less likely to experience stress. Exercising is important in the following ways:
- Reduces stress hormones: By doing regular exercises, your body lowers the stress hormones in the long run. Besides, exercising also helps release chemicals called endorphins — they improve your mood and also relieve stress.
- Confidence: Exercising regularly makes you feel confident and competent. This is vital for your mental well-being.
- Sleep: Exercises help improve the quality of your sleep. When stressed and anxious, you won’t have quality sleep.
Below are some of the supplements that can help relieve stress and anxiety.
- Cannabis Strains: They contain THC, which, when used in low doses, can help relieve stress. These products can help reduce your blood pressure and heart rate, making you feel calm and relaxed. Each cannabis strain has its own unique properties. Zamnesia is a company known for selling the best cannabis strains like the Royal Queen Seeds. When you are able to find the correct strain, grown organically, that has the right cannabinoids present as well as the preferred terpene profile, you will experience the full benefits of cannabis for your particular illness or issue. The medicinal value is not determined by how stoned a strain gets you, rather by the cannabinoids and terpenes in the strain and how well the strain works for you.
- Lemon balm: This a mint family member that has been under study for its anti-anxiety treatment. It is recommended when you are feeling under pressure.
- Ashwagandha: This is a type of herb used to treat anxiety and stress. It has been backed up by several studies that suggest it is effective.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: They contain chemicals that help reduce stress levels in your body. They can reduce stress by up to 20%.
- Green tea: It contains polyphenol antioxidants that provide several health benefits.
Spend Time with Loved Ones
Social support from family and friends can help you get through challenging times. By being part of a loving network, you will have a sense of self-worth and belonging. These are vital virtues when going through a stressful time.
One study revealed that for women, spending time with loved ones releases oxytocin, a stress reliever. Having conversations with friends and family will help you open up and talk about your challenges.
It is important to note that both men and women benefit immensely from friendships. In another study, men and women with the least social interactions were more likely to suffer from anxiety and depression. On the other hand, those with active social interactions were more lively and stress-free.
Write It Down
Another way you can handle stress and anxiety is by writing things down. Write down the things stressing you out and those that you are grateful for. Try to be more grateful for what you have achieved than stress over things challenging you.
Take a Yoga Class
Today, yoga has become a common method of relieving stress and exercising. As much as some yoga styles differ, they all have a common goal of joining the body and mind. Yoga does this by increasing breath and body awareness.
Several studies have been done to examine yoga’s effect on the human mind. It was found that yoga helps enhance your mood and relieve stress. It may be as effective as antidepressant drugs. More research continues to be done on how yoga works to reduce stress.
Generally, yoga helps relieve anxiety and stress by initiating communication with the nervous system. It helps lower the blood pressure, cortisol levels and at the same time increase gamma-aminobutyric acid— a chemical that reduces stress levels.
Learn to Avoid Procrastination
Staying on top of your priorities and avoiding procrastination is another way to control stress and anxiety. Procrastination is a condition that can make you act reactively, leaving you tense. Scrambling to catch up with others can cause stress and poor mental health.
It is important to organize your activities by creating a to-do list. Give yourself achievable deadlines and prioritize important activities. Focus on what needs to be done first and allocated yourself a lot of uninterrupted time.
This is one of the most common but yet overlooked methods of stress relief. When stressed, the body activates your sympathetic nervous system, signalling your mind to go into fight-or-flight mode. Once this process is initiated, stress hormones are released into the system and you will start experiencing symptoms like quicker breathing and increased heartbeat. In some cases, you will experience constricted blood vessels.
By exercising deep breathing, you help activate the parasympathetic nervous system which is responsible for relaxation responses.
Deep breathing works by focusing your awareness on the breath, making it deeper and slower. When you take a deep breath through your nose, the lungs fully expand, raising your belly. This slows down your heart rate, making you feel relaxed and peaceful.
Stress and anxiety can lead to serious mental health problems. Learning to manage stress is very important for your well-being. Use the methods discussed here to effectively manage stress and anxiety.