Burlington Arcade runs down the side of Burlington House, now the home of the Royal Academy of Arts.
Burlington Arcade is the most celebrated of three 19th century arcades along Piccadilly; the others Princes and Piccadilly Arcades, are on the south side of the street.
These indoor arcades represent a haven away from the traffic of Piccadilly and are noted for their selection of luxury goods.
Burlington Arcade was built in 1819 by Lord George Cavendish, to prevent passers-by throwing rubbish into his garden.
Uniformed beadles were employed to patrol the arcade, to discourage unruly behaviour. Beadles are still employed today and have the authority to eject anyone who runs, carries large packages, opens an umbrella, whistles, hums or sings.